What are the best cut flower care tips for consumers?
NOTE TO FLORISTS; FEEL FREE TO SHARE THIS INFO ON YOUR BUSINESS WEBSITES!
- Always buy fresh flowers to enjoy them as long as possible
- Ensure that you have enough cut flower food for the size of the bouquet and the most suitable vase (min. vase size is 1 litre) – this should be attached to the bouquet you buy. If not, always ask for it!
- Always use a clean vase (do not use metal or antique crystal vases) and fresh COLD tap water
- Add flower food: following the instruction on the back of the pack regarding volume of water.
- Cut at least 2 cm off the stem; 5-10 cm is better.
- Cut the stems with a sharp, clean knife or secateurs at an angle to prevent damaging and flattening of the stem
- Remove lower leaves which otherwise will be in the vase water, but don’t remove the thorns
- Be careful where you place your bouquet: flowers don’t like draughts, direct sunlight, proximity to a heater, smoke and the gasses of ripening fruits!
- Top up with fresh water and the same flower food when the water has decreased to about 1/3 of the height of the vase
- Enjoy your flowers!
- Watch our 5 step care tips film here