The best potted plants rules for consumers
Everybody knows the feeling when a beautiful plant withers only too quickly. We feel your pain! To help you enjoy your plants longer, we have put together this list of care tips you can use at home. You will find that with a little effort you can keep your plants beautiful a lot longer.
- Buy high quality plants. Pay attention to the quality of the flowers, leaves and roots; check for sturdiness, colour and the absence of damage
- Pay attention to the activity of the plants e.g. still developing young leaves and flowers
- When possible use rain water for watering
- Regularly remove old or damaged flowers and leaves
- Do not spray water on buds and flowers as this increases the chance of fungal growth (Botrytis)
- Plants do not like draughts, direct sunlight, proximity to a heater, smoke and being placed near ripening fruits
- Choose a suitable place; make sure there is enough light. Bedding plants are grown in an environment with lots of light and they will also need light to maintain their flowers and buds. Fact: the more light you can give them, the better they will look. The range of bedding plants is huge and they all have different needs. Some plants prefer temperatures between 12-18°C, while others can survive between 2-12°C.
- Growth processes are slowed down at lower temperatures, meaning that they will stay beautiful for longer.
- Ensure that there is enough water available for the plant, prevent excess of water at the bottom of the plant.
- In general pot and bedding plants use a lot of water. The water buffer in a pot or tray is limited. To help you with this we have developed Chrysal LeafShine & Seal. It temporarily prevents evaporation without limiting growth. However, be aware that watering is still absolutely necessary. Another option would be to create a water buffer with the Chrysal Aqua Pad or with the Chrysal Aquastick to extend the amount of days in store without the need for re-watering.
- Avoid damaging the plant.