Under- and overdosing flower food

Tips overview


What are the effects of under- and overdosing flower food?

Under- and overdosing flower food

The composition of cut flower food is like a balanced diet for cut flowers. The universal products are a general diet for all cut flowers and the specialty flower foods are a diet that is fine-tuned according to the needs of a particular flower type. Cut flower research has shown that even within a flower type there can be variations. In practice, though, specialty flower foods are not always available. The ultimate goal is to provide cut flowers with food and water as if still intact to the mother plant. Over- or under-dosing with flower food will cause a less-than-optimum result. The greater the deviation, the more disappointing the result will be, sometimes even negative. It is not good for the general condition and lowers life expectancy. Underdosing is the most critical and shortens the vase life the most. Less than 80% of the recommended dosage can lead to the following deviations:

  • Stem discoloration
  • Delayed flower, leaf, form, color, and scent development
  • Limp petals
  • Limp leaf and leaf discoloration

Overdosing flower food by more than 150% of the recommended amount can lead to stem discoloration and burnt leaves. Our tip is to always add the right amount of flower food to the indicated amount of water by following the instructions on the back of the pack.